Saturday, May 1, 2010

My MilSpouse Story

I'm participating in the Wives of Faith Blog Carnival this week.  Wives of Faith is a great website that connects military spouses from all over, providing encouragement and support.  Check them out at

My MilSpouse story begins in February 2008.

 It was just after Valentines Day and I decided to take the personality profile quiz on, just for fun and also to help me write a paper for a psychology class. eHarmony was having a "free communication weekend" so I decided to check out who I was matched with, despite having absolutely no intentions of ever paying for the service.  Little did I know that by the end of the first night I would be matched with a wonderful man, who I spent the entire weekend getting to know through the eHarmony system of guided questions and answers.  Monday came quickly and that was the end of the free trial weekend.  At that point, we decided to take it to the next level and we exchanged MSN names so we could chat.  That lasted for a couple hours and before I knew it we were chatting on the phone, until the wee hours of the morning (7am!) when my phone died.  We later found out that our extended non-stop chat session had literally melted my cell phone on the inside!

A picture of us on our first date - March 2008

He was stationed in Texas, while finishing up more military training and I lived in Arizona with family, where I was working as an EMT.  It took us a little over a week before we knew we had to meet in person and see where God was leading us.  As it turns out, God was leading us to each other and so began a whirlwind romance.  We flew back and forth many times and spent a lot of time seeking council and prayer from those we trusted most.   We officially became husband and wife on May 24, 2008 in a small private ceremony.  A few weeks later, on June 28, 2008 we had our big white wedding with friends and family coming from all over to celebrate with us.

After we were married we headed to Texas so my husband could finish up his training.  We were there for about two weeks before we went to Washington, where I was the only spouse to attend S.E.R.E. survival training (oh what a story that is)!  After Washington, we were supposed to be headed to England, however I had some medical issues come up. Rather than risk being separated because I couldn't maintain clearance for command sponsorship, we decided to accept a stateside PCS station while we got to the bottom of my medical issues.

We are currently surviving and thriving through our first deployment and expecting our first child, shortly after my husband returns home.  My husband has been in the Air Force for 8 years now and I am so proud of him and his accomplishments.  It makes me feel good to know that he loves what he does and is making a positive difference in the lives of many people through his work in the military.  How could I ever choose to not support him in that?  My husband always teases me about how God brought us together through eHarmony and he loved me so much, he married me twice!  The military life is definitely not without it's challenges and struggles, but this is the ride of our life and I wouldn't change a single thing.


Jessica Lynn said...

WHoa! that's an exciting story! Your cell phone melted? Crazy! And you went to S.E.R.E? I'm curious about that, too—how were you able to go as a spouse?

Cat said...

I'll tell my SERE story soon! :-) It was quite the adventure!

Jessica said...

Great story and wonderful video!
thanks for sharing!

Casey said...

Amazing story!

Casey said...

Where are you stationed? We are at Cannon in New Mexico.

Becky said...

Ok, wow...your video brought tears to my's obvious how much you two love each other, that's so awesome. It also made me miss my husband more than I thought Thanks for posting that.

Post a Comment