Monday, December 6, 2010

Come on out, Frosty!

Christmas carols play on the stereo as a fire crackles in the fireplace.  Dad brings in the big Christmas tree and holiday boxes from the garage.  Soon everyone in the family (even the dogs) gathers around to set up the tree, string on the lights and put out the decorations.  After the house is dressed up properly, we cuddle up on the couch with steaming hot cocoa and watch Miracle On 34th Street.  It's truly the most wonderful time of the year!

Being the youngest, and mainly the only kid at home when I was growing up, I was mostly in charge of putting all the ornaments in their rightful places on the tree.  I loved going through each and every ornament or decoration as I pulled them from their boxes.  If I had to pick one decoration that was my favorite, it would probably be Frosty.

I can't tell you where Frosty came from or how long he's been in the family, but he's been a part of Christmas in our house for as long as I can remember.  Every year, I would take Frosty out of his box and put him in my bedroom as my own personal Christmas decoration.  The bottom stand that Frosty sits on winds up and plays "Frosty the Snowman" while Frosty turns in a circle.  I had to have Frosty play his tune at least once a day!

I may be grown up with a family of my own this year, but Frosty is still an important part of my Christmas traditions. With my husband being in the military, we actually didn't spend last Christmas at home but Frosty still made his appearance beside our mini Christmas tree as we celebrated in a hotel in Tennessee.  This year he stands faithfully in his place once more next to our mini Christmas tree.  Perhaps in a few years, when my daughter is a little older I will pass Frosty down to her so he can be a part of her own Christmas memories.

Do you have a favorite Christmas ornament or decoration?

Join in with the Wives of Faith blog carnival and share your favorite or read about the favorites of others!